Tuesday, March 31, 2009

First Day of School

Yesterday was my first day of school!  I was taken around to every class that I’ll be working with and introduced as their new English teacher.  In every class, when the students were told that I was from the U.S., there was a collective gasp and round of applause – it was pretty hilarious!  I felt like quite the celebrity at the school.  I’ll be teaching 4th through 8th grade, and each grade has 2 classes of 45 students.  The current English teacher and I will be splitting the classes in half, which means I’ll have classes of about 22-25 students.  And, I only get each class to myself for 45 minutes once a week.  45 minutes is not a lot of time at all, but I have to remind myself that some exposure is better than no exposure to English.  Also, the idea of having 400+ students is a little daunting… what have I gotten myself into?!  The school’s English teacher, Pamela, is really nice, although she’s only here for a month while the “real” English teacher, Alejandra, is in Ohio.  They both seem like they’ll be great to work with, though, and I’m ready to get into my own classroom and start up some fun activities with all my students.  The fun begins Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your classes, but I know you will do a great job with all of the experience you have working with kids. They are very lucky to have you as their teacher!

    love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your first day of teaching classes goes well! We know you'll be an excellent teacher.
    Sounds like the home you were placed into was near to perfect. Have fun and keep blogging!
    love
    Em
    PS. Send out the address when possible.

    ReplyDelete